Areas of Interest
- Corneal transplantation (PK, DSEK)
- Refractive surgery (PRK)
- Excimer laser PTK
- Fuchs dystrophy and other corneal dystrophies
- Recurrent corneal erosions
- Diseases of the cornea and ocular surface
Christopher J. Rapuano, MD, a nationally and internationally recognized expert in corneal diseases, is Chief of the Wills Eye Cornea Service and a Professor of Ophthalmology at Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University.
Dr. Rapuano is the author of several books, numerous book chapters and more than 250 articles in the peer-reviewed literature on corneal diseases, refractive surgery, and excimer laser PTK surgery. During his ophthalmology residency, Dr. Rapuano co-authored the best-selling textbook in ophthalmology, The Wills Eye Manual, which is currently in its 7th edition. He is also the series editor for the Wills Eye Color Atlas Series (in its 3rd edition); previous Editor-in-Chief of the Yearbook of Ophthalmology; and actively serves on the editorial boards of several peer-reviewed ophthalmology journals, including Cornea, American Journal of Case Reports, Expert Review of Ophthalmology, and Current Opinion in Ophthalmology.
Among his many accomplishments, Dr Rapuano has received the Honor Award, Senior Honor Award, and Secretariat Award (four times) from the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
Dr Rapuano has served on many committees of the AAO including chairing the Refractive Surgery Basic and Clinical Science Course book and Preferred Practice Patterns committees. He is currently on the AAO Board of Trustees and is the AAO Senior Secretary for Clinical Education.
American Board of Ophthalmology – 1991
Professor of Ophthalmology, Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
- Fellowship: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Residency: Wills Eye Hospital
- Medical School: Columbia University College of Physicians -1986
- Undergraduate: Brown University – 1982
Honors and Awards
- “America’s Best Eye Doctors” Newsweek 2021
- “Top Doctors” Philadelphia magazine, 2014-2022
- “America’s Top Doctors” Castle Connolly, 2014-2022
To search for journal publications by this doctor, visit the National Library of Medicine