Areas of Interest
Diagnosis, therapy, and surgical intervention for glaucoma
Marlene Moster, MD is an attending glaucoma surgeon at Wills Eye Hospital and Professor of Ophthalmology at the Sydney Kimmel Medical School of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. Her research interests include pharmacologic advancements in the treatment of glaucoma and surgical interventions to minimize risk and improve outcomes of glaucoma surgery, with particular interest in newer devices.
Dr. Moster has authored more than 120 peer reviewed publications, many chapters in ophthalmology textbooks, and has edited a book on Anesthesia in Ophthalmology. She has been an invited speaker for many named lectures, including: the Ostbaum Glaucoma Day lecture at the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS); the Surgical Day lecture at the American Glaucoma Society (AGS); the Dickerson, Goodner, and Ranzco lectures; and the Glaucoma Day Lecture at the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO). She has served on the Glaucoma Clinical committee for ASCRS and the board of the American Glaucoma Society.
Dr. Moster is committed to teaching and has trained hundreds of residents and 113 clinical glaucoma fellows. She received the Outstanding Educator Award from the American Glaucoma Society for 2021.
Dr. Moster has been listed in The Ophthalmologist Power List “Top 100 Woman Ophthalmologists Worldwide in 2021”, Best Doctors in America, “Top Doctors” in the Philadelphia area 2011-2021, and was recently awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology. She has been invited to lecture nationally and internationally on the surgical and medical treatment of glaucoma.
American Board of Ophthalmology – 1985
Professor of Ophthalmology, Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Fellowship: Wills Eye Hospital, Glaucoma – 1984
Residency: University of Pittsburgh Eye & Ear Hospital – 1983
Medical School: State University of New York, Health Science Center at Syracuse – 1979
Undergraduate: Brooklyn College of SUNY – 1975
Honors and Awards
Dr. Moster’s numerous honors and awards include:
- “Top Doctors” 2011-2021, Philadelphia magazine
- Top 100 Woman Ophthalmologists Worldwide, The Ophthalmologist Power List, April 2021
- Top 100 Women in Ophthalmology, Texere Publishing 2021
- Outstanding Educator Award 2021, American Glaucoma Society
- RANZCO 2018 Keynote Lecture, Sydney, Australia; November 19, 2018
- The American Glaucoma Society Subspecialty Day Lecture: AAO, Chicago, IL; October 27, 2018
- Earnest K. Goodner, MD Honored Lecture: University of California, San Francisco, CA, April 2018
- John Dickerson Honored Lecture: Eastern Virginia Medical School Norfolk, Virginia April 28, 2018
- Ostbaum Honored Lecture, Glaucoma Day, ASCRS May, 2017
- Fredrico Fantes, Distinguished Lecture, XXXVIII Inter-American Course in Clinical Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, October 30, 2016
- Kapetansky Honored Lecture, 39th Annual Midwest Glaucoma Symposium, 8/2017
- Senior Honor Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Bernice Z. Brown Memorial Award, Honored Lecture, Women in Ophthalmology