The Wills Eye Hospital Glaucoma Research Center offers a 6-month to 1-year research fellowship designed to provide ophthalmologists with the experience necessary to become a successful clinical researcher.
Our goal is to train research fellows to be able to contribute valuably to their local, national, and international communities by conducting high level, evidence-based research to advance the field of glaucoma.
Under the leadership of Dr. Daniel Lee, Glaucoma Research Director, research fellows will acquire the skills necessary to:
- Perform a literature review
- Design evidence-based research projects
- Write research protocols and grant applications
- Submit research projects to an IRB
- Recruit patients for research studies
- Conduct ocular testing on research patients
- Perform medical chart reviews for retrospective studies
- Enter and analyze study data with biostatisticians
- Write and submit manuscripts to peer-reviewed journals
- Submit and present research results at national meetings
- Participate in ongoing research team meetings
Applying to the Glaucoma Research Fellowship
Requirements to Apply
- Completion of medical school and an ophthalmology residency program.
- Interest in glaucoma and learning about glaucoma-related research.
- Ability to speak, read and write English well enough to hold a conversation with colleagues and patients, to review medical literature, and to write and submit a research manuscript.
The research fellowship program is self-funded by the applicant for the duration of the program, including all living expenses. Wills Eye Hospital does not provide any funding.
Please note that all application materials must be sent electronically. All documents must be official copies in English. Mailed paper forms and documents are not accepted.
- Click here to fill out the electronic application form.
- Email completed application form to Lillian Nguyen: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- Updated CV
- Recent passport sized photo (2 in. x 2 in.)
- 3 letters of recommendation
Your application is not complete until all required materials have been received.
If selected, you will be invited for a phone interview.
In order to travel and reside in the United States during the length of your fellowship, you must obtain a J-1 visa. Please allow at least 1-2 months, depending on your country of residence, to complete the process. Information on obtaining a J-1 visa: click here.
The “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status” or DS-2019, click here.
For more information, please contact:
Wills Eye Hospital
Glaucoma Research Center
840 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: (215) 928-3123
Fax: (215) 928-3285