Areas of Interest
- Cataract and anterior segment surgery
- Complex cataract extraction
- Advanced technology intraocular lenses (extended depth of focus, multifocal and astigmatism-correcting)
- Minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS).
John C. Anhalt, MD is an Attending Physician on the Cataract and Primary Eye Care Service. Already an Alumnus of the Wills Eye Hospital residency program, Dr. Anhalt spent his fellowship year collaborating with local providers in treating blinding eye conditions in underserved communities around the world as part of the Wills Eye Center for Academic Global Ophthalmology. He enjoys teaching both medical students and residents; he also serves as Co-Director of the Academic Global Ophthalmology Fellowship.
Dr. Anhalt was born and raised in Rochester, Minnesota and completed his undergraduate education at Trinity University in San Antonio. He then spent several years with the Peace Corps teaching in a rural mountain village in Lesotho before returning for medical school at the University of Texas San Antonio and ophthalmology residency at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia.
His surgical interests include cataract and anterior segment surgery with a particular interest in complex cataract extraction, advanced technology intraocular lenses (extended depth of focus, multifocal and astigmatism-correcting) and minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS).
- Fellowship: Wills Eye Hospital, Academic Global Ophthalmology – 2019
- Residency: Wills Eye Hospital – 2019
- Internship: University of Texas Dell Medical School – 2016
- Medical School: University of Texas at San Antonio – 2015
- Undergraduate: Trinity University – 2008