Carol L. Shields, MD is Chief of the Ocular Oncology Service at Wills Eye Hospital and Professor of Ophthalmology at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. She completed her ophthalmology training at Wills Eye in 1987 and subsequently did fellowship training in ocular oncology, oculoplastic surgery, and ophthalmic pathology.
She has authored or coauthored 12 textbooks, over 1400 articles in major journals, over 300 textbook chapters, given over 700 lectureships, and many awards. The 5 most prestigious honors include:
• The Donders Award (2003) given by the Netherlands Ophthalmological Society every 5 years to an ophthalmologist worldwide who has contributed to the field of ophthalmology. She was the first woman to receive this award.
• The American Academy of Ophthalmology Life Achievement Honor Award (2011) for contributions to the field of ophthalmology.
• Induction into the Academic All-American Hall of Fame (2011) for lifetime success in athleticism and career.
• President of the International Society of Ocular Oncology (2013-2015) – This is the largest international society of clinicians and basic scientists interested in ocular tumors.
• Ophthalmology Power List 2014 and 2016 – Nominated by peers as one of the top 100 leaders in the field of ophthalmology.
Dr. Shields is a member of numerous ocular oncology, pathology, and retina societies and serves on the editorial board of several peer-reviewed journals. Each year the Oncology Service manages approximately 500 patients with uveal melanoma, 120 patients with retinoblastoma, and numerous other intraocular, orbital, and conjunctival tumors from the United States and abroad.
American Board of Ophthalmology – 1989
Professor, Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Wills Eye Hospital, Ocular Oncology – 1988-1989
Wills Eye Hospital, Ocular Pathology – 1987-1988
Moorfields Eye Hospital (London), Orbital & Eyelid Tumors & Reconstruction – 1988
- Residency: Wills Eye Hospital – 1987
- Medical School: University of Pittsburgh – 1983
- Undergraduate: University of Notre Dame – 1979
Honors and Awards
Philadelphia magazine “Top Doctors” 2011-2017; Castle Connolly “America’s Top Doctors” 2014-2017
To search for journal publications by this doctor, visit the National Library of Medicine