Wills Eye Hospital Earns National Recognition for Excellence
America’s Physicians Voted Hospital’s Ophthalmology Training Program #1 and in Top 2 Overall Hospital Reputation in 2018-19 U.S. News & World Report Rankings
Wills Eye Hospital’s outstanding reputation for patient care and ophthalmology training are once again being acclaimed by physicians nationwide. In the 2018-2019 U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals Rankings, Wills Eye was named #2 best in the nation for overall hospital reputation and, in a Doximity poll, was selected as the #1 ophthalmology residency program in the USA.
Julia A. Haller, MD, Ophthalmologist-in-Chief at Wills Eye Hospital, said, “What we can do on behalf of our patients drives every decision we make at Wills Eye Hospital. It is extremely gratifying to be heralded year after year by our physician peers.”
The annual survey of Best Hospitals in ophthalmology is determined entirely by an extensive survey of board-certified ophthalmologists. Physicians were asked one question: “Where would you refer your most challenging cases?”. The rankings are published at http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings.
Joseph P. Bilson, Chief Executive Officer at Wills Eye Hospital, said, “We are excited and extremely grateful for this continuous nationwide recognition and remain committed to our true mission of giving our patients the very best outcomes and the safest, most high quality and comforting healthcare experiences every day. We are shoulder to shoulder with our patients in their care every step of the way.”
In the year since the last U.S. News & World Report survey, Wills Eye achieved the following milestones:
- Earned first-time FDA approval for an “early feasibility study” on the Retinal Implant AG Device for restoring vision in patients with Retinitis Pigmentosa, a blinding retinal disease.
- Established the Vickie and Jack Farber Vision Research Center at Wills Eye dedicated to the advancement of vision science.
- Received more than $10 million in philanthropic funding in part to expand its Vision Research Department and innovative Surgical Training Labs.
- Expanded funded professorships with the Larry A. Donoso, MD, Endowed Chair, and the installation of Director Emeritus, Jerry A. Shields, MD, into the Brady-Shields Endowed Chair in Ocular Oncology.
- Received the prestigious Ronald G. Michels Award, given to second-year retina fellows for top retina fellowship performance in the USA. Wills Eye retina fellows have received this award nine out of the last 10 years. Wills Eye Hospital’s Retina Department is the longest running retina service in the nation.
- Continued a multimillion-dollar CDC-funded community outreach program for another successful year to detect and treat eye disease – particularly glaucoma – in underserved populations throughout the region.
- Attained more Wills Eye Physicians and Wills Eye-trained physicians on Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.’s list of nationally-ranked ophthalmologists and to “The Ophthalmologist’s Top 100 Most Influential Power List 2018."
About Wills Eye Hospital
Wills Eye Hospital is a global leader in ophthalmology, established in 1832 as the nation’s first hospital specializing in eye care. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks Wills Eye as one of America’s top ophthalmology centers since the survey began. Wills Eye has the most nationally ranked ophthalmologists in the country. Wills Eye is a premier training site for all levels of medical education and its resident and post-graduate training programs are among the most competitive in the country. In 2018, Wills Eye established the Vickie and Jack Farber Vision Research Center dedicated to the advancement of vision science. Wills provides the full range of primary and subspecialty eye care for improving and preserving sight, including cataract, cornea, retina, emergency care, glaucoma, neuro-ophthalmology, ocular oncology, oculoplastics, pathology, pediatric ophthalmology and ocular genetics, and refractive surgery. Ocular Services include the Wills Laser Correction Center, Low Vision Service and Diagnostic Testing Center. Its 24/7 Emergency Department is the only one of its kind in the region. Wills Eye also has a network of seven multi-specialty, ambulatory surgery centers throughout the tri-state area.
To learn more, please visit WillsEye.org.