Wills Eye Innovation Grants
Wills Eye Innovation Grants support the research initiatives of the medical staff and also to provide invaluable education experiences for residents and fellows.
In keeping with our distinguished tradition of excellence, Wills Eye is committed to advancing innovative research in all areas of ophthalmology and to improve ocular health and quality of life.
The following projects were awarded funding for the 2014-15 grant year.
CPEC Service Grants
- A Proposed Intervention to Decrease Resident-Performed Cataract Surgery Cancellation. Robert S. Bailey, Jr., MD.
- Comparison of resident cataract surgery evaluations with an online assessment form by supervising surgeons vs masked observers using surgical videotapes. James P. Dunn, MD.
Cornea Service Grant
- Corneal epithelial wound healing. Amir A. Azari, MD.
Glaucoma Service Grants
- Validation and Reproducibility of the Heidelberg Edge Perimeter in the Detection of Visual Field Defects in Glaucoma Patients. L. Jay Katz, MD.
- Short Duration Transient Visual Evoked Potential and a Steady-State Pattern Electroretinogram for Early Detection of Retinal Ganglion Cell Dysfunction in Ocular Hypertension Patients. Anand Mantravadi, MD.
- RAPDx Pupillography for Early Detection of Glaucoma. George L. Spaeth, MD.
Neuro-Ophthalmology Service Grant
- Topographic and Longitudinal Segmentation of Retinal Nerve Fiber Layers in Patients with Remitting Relapsing and Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. Robert C. Sergott, MD
Oculoplastic & Orbital Surgery Service Grant
- Thyroid Related Optic Neuropathy and Optical Coherence Tomography (TRON-OCT). Jurij R. Bilyk, MD.
Oncology Service Grant
- Prognosis of Uveal Melanoma Based on Race in 8100 Patients. Carol L. Shields, MD.
- Pediatric Ophthalmology & Ocular Genetics Grant Parental Adjustment to Vision Loss in Pediatric Patients. Alex V. Levin, MD, MHSc.
Retina Service Grants
- Lenticular Stability Following Intravitreal Ocriplasmin: Analysis of Ultrasound Biomicroscopy Characteristics (LASSO). Allen Chiang, MD.
- Pars Plana Vitrectomy Incisions Sealed by Cautery: A Novel Approach Analysis Using Live Bacteria. Omesh Gupta, MD.
- Ophthalmology Diagnostic Search Engine. Jason Hsu, MD.
- Creation of Normative Multifocal Electroretinogram, Visual Evoked Potential, Multicolor Fundus Photo and Optical Coherence Tomography Database in the Wills Diagnostic Center. Mark Moster, MD.
- Eye Care as a Critical Component of Dialysis Patients Medical Home: Evaluation of Population Health Need. Ann P. Murchison, MD.